FRENCH MEATBALLS AND SPAGHETTI
Shake up the old-hat spaghetti and meatballs with this French-inspired twist!
Yield: 5 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 slice white bread, soaked in water and squeezed well
- 2½ tablespoons ketchup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ 20-ounce can of pineapple tidbits, with juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- Oil, for frying
- In a large stock pot, heat water for pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, combine ground meat or poultry, egg, bread, ketchup and garlic. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Form mixture into balls and fry for several minutes, until browned on all sides.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and pineapple to boil. Stir in dissolved cornstarch and cook over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- Add meatballs and cook for 30 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, cook and drain the spaghetti.