Bring a taste of the Big Apple into your home this summer with this unique dish that blends two iconic street foods of New York.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Price per serving: $.075
1 ½ cups warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon dry yeast
3 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup baking soda
3 tablespoons butter, melted
8 hot dogs, cut into halves
Coarse sea salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together warm water, sugar and yeast.
- Add flour and salt. Mix on medium-low speed with the dough hook attachment until smooth. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a long log. Wrap a rolled piece of dough around one hot dog half and pinch the ends together to keep from unraveling. Repeat with remaining dough and hot dogs and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Bring 8 cups of water to boil in a large pot. Add baking soda to water. Work slowly; it will bubble up!
- Using a slotted spoon, place the dough-wrapped hot dogs in the boiling water, working with 4 pretzel hot dogs at a time. Boil for exactly 30 seconds. Remove using a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
- Once all hot dogs have boiled, place them all on the prepared baking sheet. Brush melted butter over the hot dogs and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Bake for 15 minutes, or until dough is golden brown. Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauces.