Give your classic meatloaf a kid-friendly twist with this creative, budget-friendly recipe. For an extra touch, style the mashed potatoes on top to look like frosting!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Cost per serving: $1.75
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, finely diced
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
5 tablespoons tomato sauce
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
3 medium potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
Approximately 1 cup of milk
½ cup ketchup
(Optional veggies for decorating)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 8 cups in a muffin tin.
- Mix onion, eggs, parmesan cheese, tomato sauce, breadcrumbs and spices in a large bowl. Add ground beef and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide meat mixture into 8 balls, pressing each into a prepared muffin cup. Keep the top rounded, or dome-shaped.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until browned on top.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare the mashed potatoes: Peel and dice potatoes and steam or boil until just turning tender. Drain, and add butter along with the desired amount of milk. Mash until creamy, but stiff enough to hold a shape.
- When cupcakes are ready, top each with a tablespoon of ketchup and a layer of mashed potatoes.
- Decorate with diced tomatoes, peppers or green onions if desired.