Skillet Chicken with Bacon
This restaurant-worthy recipe uses just a few slices of bacon for all of the flavor at a lower cost.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Cost per serving: $2.00
3 slices bacon
½ cup flour
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoon herbes de provence spice mix
2 lbs. chicken thighs with skin
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
½ cup dry white wine
¾ cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- On a large plate, mix flour, salt, pepper and herbes de provence. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and set aside.
- Cut bacon into small strips and fry for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove strips from pan and set aside. Lower flame and leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the chicken to skillet and pan-fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden-brown, but not cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add shallots and olive oil to pan and sauté for 7 minutes or until soft, fragrant, and golden-brown.
- Add wine slowly, while stirring. Add chicken stock, and let mixture cook until it thickens and reduces slightly, for about 6-8 minutes.
- Return chicken and bacon to the pan, baking for 40 minutes, or until chicken skins turn crispy, basting every 15 minutes with pan sauce.