We all start out in life as consummate takers. Can you train your children to find the beauty in giving and doing for others?
This month’s goal: Teach your children how giving benefits the giver as much as the receiver.
Pointers to cover:
- How giving makes the world go round.
- How giving helps to make us into better people.
- Learning to care for others.
- How to incorporate kindness into our daily lives
For kids under age 9:
- Does it feel good to give to those who have less than us?
- Which kind of giving do you enjoy the most?
- Can you think of some things we can do for others without spending money?
For kids over age 9:
- What makes you feel better: receiving a terrific present, or giving one to someone else?
- Why do people sometimes find it hard to part with their money, time or possessions?
- Do you think it’s harder to give when you have a lot or when you have a little? Explain your answer.
- Is it easier to give out of pity for the recipient, or when you’ll receive lots of praise for your deed?
- How is it possible to make giving a part of a monthly budget?