Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp and brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and then chop. Pour out bacon grease from the pan, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder; season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 egg, buttermilk, and 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, whisking until smooth. Add the bacon and cheddar to the batter.
- Heat a waffle maker and brush with melted butter. Cook waffles in batches until golden. Hold finished waffles in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Heat skillet with the reserved bacon grease over medium-high heat and cook remaining 4 eggs until the whites are set. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve Waffles with an egg on top.